Evidence given in the Leveson enquiry into press standards suggests that Mr Hunt privately supported attempts by News Corporation to take full control of the company. He took responsibility of deciding the outcome of Mr Murdoch’s controversial bid in December 2010, after Lib Dem Vince Cable stepped down after being recorded saying that he had “declared war” on Murdoch.
A string of emails have been revealed to the enquiry, suggesting that Mr Hunt passed “a steady flow” of information from his office to News Corp. He however claims that he acted impartially and with "scrupulous fairness".
News Corp currently owns a 39% stake in BSkyB, and is continuing to fight for the other 61%, but this has created controversy as it flies in the face of regulation on competition.
The role requires complete impartiality, although Mr Hunt has so far avoided all calls for him to resign his post.
This morning, Labour deputy leader Harriet Harman added her voice to the mix, telling the BBC: "I'm afraid there is no explanation as to why it is that, in advance of what Jeremy Hunt said to the House of Commons, the complete strategy and the very words that Jeremy Hunt was going to use, had already been explained to James Murdoch."
Hunt gave a statement after James Murdoch gave evidence to the enquiry (his father, Rupert, is giving evidence to the enquiry today), saying, "We've heard one side of the story today but some of the evidence reported meetings and conversations that simply didn't happen.
"I will be making a very, very determined effort to show that I acted with total integrity and conducted this process scrupulously fairly."