Qatada smiled as he was arrested yesterday, and the government were quick to announce that his extradition would be within months. However there is confusion this morning, as Qatada’s lawyers attempt to launch a final appeal to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR).
The Home Office however have said that the deadline for his appeal has passed, and are planning to write to ECHR, pleading with them to not hear Mr Qatada’s case.
ECHR had previously blocked his removal to Jordan, on the grounds that information accusing Qatada of involvement in a bomb plot had been gained by torture, and that Mr Qatada would face a similar interrogation if he was returned to the country for his trial.
Extradition will now be delayed until after ECHR have made a decision.
Shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper called the situation “chaotic”, whilst Justice Secretary Ken Clarke called it all “hysterical angst”.
"We know perfectly well legal proceedings are still going to take a few months, they're bound to do so,” he added when speaking to BBC Breakfast.
Ministers believe that the three month deadline for Qatada to launch an appeal passed on Monday night, but the ECHR said that they received the appeal at 22:00 on Tuesday, which they claim is within the deadline.
A panel of five judges will now decide if the appeal will be heard.
Home Secretary Theresa May had previously announced that she planned to deport Qatada by the end of April.